Sales Principles We Could All Use
Do you desire to be the greatest salesman in the world?
Well ok maybe the world is too big. Let’s start at the company you run or work for, hows that?
I recently picked up the book, ‘The Greatest Salesman in the World’. On the cover, it says, “You can change your life with the priceless wisdom of Ten Ancient scrolls handed down for thousands of years.”
That got me thinking about my sales career and how I could probably use a refresh in my sales skills. It’s not often many of us review our time management, leadership, marketing and business skills.
The Ten Scrolls are principles on how to become an effective sales person. Don’t get me wrong you can become the greatest sales man or women but you must dedicate your life to the craft.
Take your time to understand these principles and live them every day. You will accomplish anything you choose to if you apply the concepts the author has laid out in the book. Focus on your goals, dreams and towards the future.
Og Mandino’s, book first published in 1968. Forty-seven years later and the success principles thought in this book are still as relevant. The Greatest Salesman in the World, is an easy read and can be read by most people in a day. The 110 pages contain a story that is very relatable. The writing style keeps you reading till you flip through the book and find yourself at the end.
Going through the book page by page I outline the success principles that will be helpful from each chapter of the book.
Each principle will help you learn more about sales, the sales funnel, successful sale principles and how to treat people to make more money.
I would recommend reading, The 5 Pillars of Leadership, if you want to build on the foundation. Click here for the article on building strong leadership skills.
Principles from The Greatest Salesman in the World
- All the success, happiness, love, peace of mind, and wealth that you enjoyed is directly traceable to what we do based on our knowledge of the 10 scrolls.
- If you want to succeed in sales, or in life, we must set goals.
- We must create a greater desire to improve our position in life.
- As a sales person, for us can to acquire wealth and success, we must sell value to your customers.
- No other trade or profession has more opportunity for one to rise from poverty to great wealth than that of sales person.
- True wealth is what you do with your money not how much you have.
- Victory comes after many struggles and countless defeats.
- Review how others sell different products and services when you are not able to.
- Control the thoughts in your mind. Do not allow yourself to be or get negative. Read daily affirmations.
- With time, practice and patience you become better and learn how to sell to everyone. You must be good at recognizing different personalities and how they purchase.
- The more I give to others of myself, the more I will receive.
- Review them often and see if they are still important to you over all vision.
- Memorize every word on each scroll until they become a part of my thinking.
- Combine what you learn with the experience you acquire.
- Have the courage to step away from the crowd, and pursue your dreams.
The 10 Scrolls from The Greatest Salesman in the World
Scroll 1 – Develop and realize good daily habits
- Failure no longer will be a part of your struggle.
- Accept the past as the past. Continue to move forward.
- Practice the art of patience for nature does not act in haste.
- Today’s success is not tomorrows success.
- Good habits are the key to the success of many people.
- Read books, magazines and blogs out loud.
Scroll 2 – Love and respect people, situations and nature around me
- Welcome obstacles for they are challenges in life.
- With love, you will increase your sales a hundredfold and become the great salesman in the world.
Scroll 3 – I will persist till I success
- If you continue to try, you continue to charge forward and will succeed.
- One step at a time is not too difficult, to many at a time can cause failure.
- Each failure in the sales process increase your chances for success on the next attempt.
Scroll 4 – My unique qualities make me a success when used correctly
- No one can duplicate your brush strokes, no one can make your chisel marks, no one can duplicate your handwriting and no one can produce your child. You are one of a kind and must be you during the sales process.
- You are here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain not only with wealth but knowledge to pass to others.
- Put your full attention to what you are doing at the time you are doing it. Do not get side tracked by social media, email or phone calls that are not important to what you need to complete.
Scroll 5 – Live life in the present moment
- Live life to the fullest every day.
- Do not focus on yesterday defeats but todays opportunities.
- Is there a purpose in nature?
- Know that you can dismember fear with confidence.
Scroll 6 – Master my mood and emotions
- I bring joy, enthusiasm, brightness and laughter to my customers. They react with the same joy, enthusiasm, brightness and laughter.
- A weak person allows their thoughts to control their actions.
Scroll 7 – I will laugh and not be serious all the time. Every situation will pass
- Keep this in mind, no living creature on earth can laugh except man.
- Remember to laugh at your failures. When you don’t take yourself to seriously those failures vanish into the clouds and become new dreams.
- Only with laughter and happiness can we truly become a success.
Scroll 8 – Learn to multiply my value by setting goals
- We must nurture our body and mind to fulfill our dreams.
- Set goals for the day, the week, the month, the year and your life. Then get busy.
- Always announce my goals to the world. The universes will conspire to make your dreams and goals a reality.
Scroll 9 – I will take action on my goals
- Our procrastination holds us back only because we fear. We must remember we are not born with this fear or laziness.
- You can condition your mind to perform every act necessary for your success.
- Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy.
Scroll 10 – Pray, meditate and ask for guidance
- Remember your life does not need to be filled with religion, for us to recognize the greatest mysteries in nature.
- It’s ok pray for guidance if you feel lost
How To Begin
Start by applying the knowledge from scroll 1 for 30 days. Then begin to apply the knowledge from scroll 2.
In the second month, you are following the principles from scroll 1 and 2 for 30 days. Then continue to add an additional principal from the next scroll for every month or when you are ready.
By the end of the year you will be practicing and creating the habits discussed in each scroll.
It is interesting to see how sales has evolved since, The Greatest Salesman in the World was released. The principles have remained the same even though sales industry is continually changing as technology keeps pushing every industry forward.
The Greatest Salesman in the World is a great read and can be review once a year. As you grow in knowledge and experience, every time you pick up this book you pick up on different principles.
As you follow the principles in this article and book you grow, change and notice your thoughts becoming clearer.
Each principle be a separate goal to help you progress in life. When combined with other principles, the power of the scrolls becomes clear on how to achieve any dream you have.
If you want to not only increase sales but want to manager people, applying the principles from the book Monday Morning Leadership will add additional level to your skill set. Click here to find out more.
What one thing did you take from this article and how will you apply the information so you can become the greatest salesman in the world?
It’s your turn to make a difference. Share the article with people who are interested in sales.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below and check out other articles in this post.
Connect with us on Facebook and never miss out on new articles. The secret is to sign up for the email list. You can do this at the bottom of this post.
Want more information on how to increase your sales? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon.
Each item purchased from Amazon allow us to build and grow DYLT. Thank you for your continued support.
Don’t just imagine change. Bookmark this page and come back every 30 days, reread the article and continue to apply the information. Start selling and making more money, today.
Founder and CEO, Discover Your Life Today
Maveen has built his career in Banking, Insurance, Home and Automobile Sales. Providing exceptional customer service is his passion. Writing is a way to share his knowledge and help change the lives of million of people. Like the Facebook Page to support him.