I first came across the concept of about Neuro-Linguistic Programming or NLP when I was listening to the Daily Boost motivational podcast, hosted by Scott Smith.
Before I come across his podcast, I did not know about NLP. Sure I have read numerous books and listened to various audio programming. I never knew the authors of were using the concept of Neuro-Linguistic Programming to help me.
In hindsight, I guess my first real experience with NLP started with I was a baby or child. My parents would talk to me. They were programming me with their words.
Later when I went to school, my teachers started to program me with their thought, believes and words.
Little did I realize when I joined the Amway business opportunity they were also using NLP to rewire the way I was thinking. I had the opportunity to listen to and be influenced by key speakers such as Bill Britt.
When they told me to pick up a read books or listen to audio programing, it was changing the way I was thinking.
By the time Scott Smith mentioned it on his podcast program, I had already developed a reading and listening to audio programming habit.
What is NLP?
As per Wikipedia, Neuro-Linguistic programming or NLP is an approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy. The system was created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the 1970’s.
From what I understand, the two of them developed a system where word could be used to create pathways in someone brain. The pathways would help the person learn, understand and put to use the information they were acquiring
The idea is to create an experience in the other persons mind long before they experience the experience in real life. You want to have the other person use all 5 sense.
As a sales person, a spouse, a friend or someone who has a relationship with someone else, you can create an internal event long before the external behaviour shows up within.
Who Uses Neuro-Linguistic Programming?
Since Richard and John developed the system, people from parents, teachers, managers, sales professionals and ever athletes have used technique to develop success habits.
You have probably heard of Tony Robbins? I think he is the best when it comes to using NLP. Tony is a great coach, manager, mentor and teacher who helps influence the decision of others.
Many people have started businesses using the NLP method. It has been used to help influence professionals to increase sales, addicts to overcome additions, people who are overweight to lose weight and help coach millions of people to develop a positive attitude.
How to use NLP
My goal is to give you the beginner’s guide to understanding what NLP is and how you can use it. NLP is a technique that can help change the way the brains things, processes and uses information.
If you are in a sales professional you can use this information to increase sales by getting people to do what you want them to do. NLP is like hypnosis in the way that you encourage influence over the other person.
If you understand that then you understand that this is a powerful technique that should not be used to manipulate people.
Beginners Guide to Understanding NLP
- One of the ideas that Neuro-Linguistic programming uses is for teacher users how to influence others with the words they use.
- NLP is about observing how people do something and then modeling yourself after tem to achieve the same desired results.
- NLP is about using positive and influencing words, tone and body language to relay a message to get a desired result.
Read the sentence below. Put the emphasis on the first word only. Once you read the sentence put the emphasis on the second word only. And repeat for all 5 words in the sentence.
Each word you stress give you a different tone and a different way the same sentence can be heard. It is important to emphasis the right word when talking to people so you don’t create a negative impression.
I ran faster than you.
- Detach yourself from the comment people make to you. If you don’t know the person making the comment let it be. You can see if there a positive intention in the comment.
Learn to put yourself in the shoes of the other person. See what your point of view looks like from their position.
- NLP is about watching how the other person responds to your words? Use positive words to get a positive response. If you get a negative response to your question or words you will need to re-ask the question in a more positive way.
- NLP is about telling people what you want them to do. It is NOT what I do not want them to do. It is important to not use words such as Can’t, Don’t, Should not, Would not.
- When you speak use words that inspire the other person to think in terms – Touch, Taste, Smell, Auditor, Sight.
- NLP is know the difference between the Active voice vs. Passive voice.
- You get people to do things you would like them to do using positive suggestion in my sentences. This is very helpful in sales or when parents talk to young children.
- It is important in sales to understand that people are more likely to make a purchase with you if they know others have. Testimonials work!
- NLP is about projecting how you feel on to the other person. It is done by the words you use.
- NLP teaching and training uses the fact our minds are programmed to listen to questions not statements.
- You can notice the changes to a customer’s body language after you say a statement versus using a question.
- NLP courses teach people to use metaphors to get a point across. People see them as visual cues to what you are saying.
Metaphors can work in our favor by having people think in a certain way. The way you want them to.
- The structure of the sentences you speak is more important than the sentence itself. Where the word is in the sentence make a difference.
- Would you want to go and get some food?
- Want to get some food?
- You want to go get some food?
- Get good at using the “Tote Model” -Test, Operate, Test again, Exit
- If you are going to compare 2 or more things, use pictures to help the person see what you are saying. Visuals get people to understand choices faster.
- NLP is big on the idea of using anchors. This is connecting one thing to another.
This is a beginner’s guide to understanding Neuro-Linguistic Programing. My goal is to inspire you to go out and find out how you can use the concepts of NLP to become more successful.
The basic’s mention in this article can help you be successful but I believe if you want to know more you have to study more.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming is about using words, images and questions to get someone to do something they want to that they don’t know how to do for themselves.
I hope you find the introduction to NLP helpful. Which of the above ideas will you use the next time you are in communication with a friend, a co-workers, a customer or your child?
Leave a comment below and share why you will focus on that one idea. You can also check out other related articles in this post.
You can connect with me on Facebook and never miss out on new articles what come out. The secret is to subscribe by using your email. You can do this at the bottom of the post.
Want to read more on Neuro-Linguistic Programing? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon. Here you can own books on this topic.
Each item you select to own, helps build and grow Discover Your Life Today. Thank you for your continued support.
Don’t just imagine change. Bookmark this page and come back every 30 days, reread the article and continue to apply the information.
Founder and CEO, Discover Your Life Today
Maveen has built his career in Banking, Insurance, Home and Automobile Sales. Providing exceptional customer service is his passion. Writing is a way to share his knowledge and help change the lives of million of people. Like the Facebook Page to support him.