Back when I was in the new home building industry, I had the opportunity to see John Palumbo live. He was touring through Calgary, Alberta and the company I was with saw that is was important to have us sales agents at this event.
The event took place June 16, 2015 and was presented by the Canadian Home Builders Association. The guest speakers were Meredith Oliver and John Palumbo. The event, The Return of The Sales Warrior, brought together sale professionals who sell against each other daily.
You can watch the promo video by clicking the link.
Who Is John Palumbo
Today many sales professionals will find John at his website or connect with him on LinkedIn.
Outside of traveling and being a keynote speaker for the new home industry, John is the author of various books and audio programing.
I have only seen John live once but I do believe he is a great sales trainer who trains sales professionals to become leaders in their industry.
His sales training is important because it helps sales professionals:
- Find New Prospects
- Become Effective Leaders
- Work with Difficult Customers
- Finding Ways to Close More Customers
When you understand his methods it motivates you to help customers get over roadblocks to the sale. He inspires you to use the right words so you can have a fantastic presentation
65 Principles I Learned To Close More Sales
Here is a copy of my notes from the event.
- Do not miss the subtle buying signals customers give us during the sales process.
- Acknowledge the fact the customer wants to make a purchase and needs your help.
- Learn to spot signs 15 to 20 minutes earlier. When you do you can close the customer sooner.
- Watch the pace I am giving my sales presentation at. It is important to work the customers pace.
- Record each sales presentation you give. Listen to it. Find ways to improve the presentation with no negative words or connotations.
- Make sure my presentation sounds free-flowing and professional. Don’t allow yourself to sound over rehearsed. Click To Tweet
- In the presentation use the customers hot buttons along with stories to sell to them.
- Sell from a focused stay of mind.
- Make the product or service you are selling “ONE OF A KIND” in the eyes of the customers.
Priming the price is a secret of the master salesperson. Start at a higher price all the way through the presentation. This way the customer is thinking, “I can’t afford ” During the presentation make a mention what others are selling houses for in the community. Mention the value to building a new home with all new features. Then, tell them the price. It will be lower than expected, by design.
- Use the power of imagination so clients can see themselves in the house.
- Let the client respond to questions. My job is to listen and not do all the talking. It is always powerful when the words comes out of the prospects mouth.
- Use facial expressions to answers the person’s question.
- When less people come to the show homes, the people who do come are higher quality prospects.
- Say, “I know it seems the price of our houses are too low based on all the extra’s we include in the home.”
- Get people to really listen and interact with the story you use to connect with them. This is effective communications.
- Develop a good sales presentation that has been refined to a science. Understand what the customers will say before they say it.
- Hot buttons are the reason the client want to buy. These hot buttons are the reasons others have bought with you. Learn to tie it together.
- The words I use to deliver my message is important.
Say, “That’s a beautiful home, but the price puts a lot of people off. That is why we also build more affordable home were you would spend a lot less.”
- People trust you first, then they look at your product or service. Value before money.
- Let clients know they can get everything from our service standards.
- Most people sell to the level they are at. Increase your level of confidence and learn how to sell to a higher quality person.
- Know what your competition is doing? That will help me sell more homes.
- Speak the language of the customer.
- Look the part your customers expect you to be. Be more like your customers. Learn to connect. Click To Tweet
- Be relatable to everyone who walks in to the show home.
- How do I increase my closing percentage?
- I do not have to be a pushy or lie to close sales.
Say, “May of our home owners would say we solve their problems.” Followed by a statement of how we did.
- Review the negatives that we have overcome for others. This is how you will help current clients decided to purchase with your product or service.
- What emotions is the customer showing when wanting to purchase a home.
- Take advantage of the reason the client has come in to purchase a home.
- Know how to use any promos available to sell more homes.
- Ask, “Where do you live now and why do you want to move?”
- Use the Feel, Felt, Found method. – I understand how you feel; We had clients who have felt the same way. We found we can still move forward by doing…(give the solution).
- When you use the words of other people, take a slight step to the side. Talk as if you are the other person telling the reason to the customer.
- Have confidence in your product or service line.
- Use the word “ONLY” in your presentation.
Ask “Do you have any other questions before we put the site on hold / write the purchase agreement / send your information to our financial department?”
- Know and present the key idea’s at the correct time in the presentation.
- Exploit the ‘pain’ of not owning your own home vs. renting a home. Talk about the loss of equity.
- In your presentation create a dialog that is directing the conversation towards your next question.
- When the right time presents itself, offer to be the trusted advisor who helps the prospect come to the conclusion of wanting to move forward in the process.
- Say, “Your new home is a monthly investment into your future while renting is a monthly cost with no major financial impact on your future.”
- Don’t use the word Down payment. Use the word Initial investment.
- Ask, “Why have you started looking for a home?”
- Help people get to the purchase stage in the sales funnel. Click To Tweet
- We buy on emotion and then justify our purchases with logic.
Buyers are not liars.
- Make sure you are closing from meeting to meeting.
- Use more numbers in my presentation. Verbally and on paper.
- Ask question and take care of your client. If you do you can double or triple commissions.
- Even when you get a ‘NO’ follow up the answer with a question.
- A closing technique, “Let me get the paperwork started for you.”
- Do not wait for the YES.
- Find ways to move the customer towards the close of the sale if you feel it is the right time.
- What is the sizzle when you are selling steak?
- The sizzle is why the buyer will buy today/now. It is the solution to their hot buttons.
- Hit on your prospects emotional strings.
Reinforce the needs of your prospect. It shows that you are listening and considering what they are saying.
- Find out what your client is unhappy with in their current home.
- Use testimonials or credibility statements. This is a skill of a great salesperson.
- Say, “Our economy allows us to sell new homes for a better price then pre-owned homes, in most cases.”
- When talking about other use the word, ‘Buyers’ not ‘Customers’.
The notes I took are essentially what effective master sales professionals do every day to be number one in their respected industries. These are the same principles John Palumbo uses and teaches.
Sales professionals are confident in understanding their goals and the goals of the client. They do not put their goals ahead of the buyer. They use the success principles thought by great sales teachers, coaches and mentors such as Zig Ziglar.
Principle that are timeless and close more sales for the sales professional.
If you are a sales professional in the new home industry, real estate industry or sell anything from cars to cellphone, you can apply the information John Palumbo teaches to be a success.
Of the 65 principles I mention above, which one do you think would help you focus and connect to your buyer? Each one of the principle above are used by John Palumbo to become successful.
Leave a comment below and share your answer. You can check out other articles in this post by clicking the links provided.
You can connect with me on Facebook and never miss out on new articles that come out. The secret is to sign up to the email list. You can do this at the bottom of the post.
Want to read some books by John Palumbo? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon. Here you can own books and audio programming from this author, speaker and sales leader.
Each item you choose to own, helps build and grow Discover Your Life Today. Thank you for your continued support.
Don’t just imagine change. Bookmark this page and come back every 30 days, reread the article and continue to apply the information.
Founder and CEO, Discover Your Life Today
Maveen has built his career in Banking, Insurance, Home and Automobile Sales. Providing exceptional customer service is his passion. Writing is a way to share his knowledge and help change the lives of million of people. Like the Facebook Page to support him.