I have listened to the Ram Dass, Here and now Podcast, for over 5 years. I was introduced to Ram Dass by an acquaintance then.
He had told me about Ram Dass, real name Richard Alpert, and how he traveled to India looking for a spiritual teacher who could teach him about consciousness.
To my surprise, as I scrolled the documentary section of Netflix I come upon the movie, Dying to Know.
Prior to watching the movie, I knew about Ram Dass through the different talks I have heard him give.
I was not very familiar with Timothy Leary. I have heard his name mentioned in a few talks but never looked in to his story.
The movie, Dying to Know, gave me an opportunity to learn more about Ram Dass and give me insight, I did not have on Tim’s life.
The Movie – Dying to Know
I think the title of this movie is very fitting since Ram Dass has been working with the dying for close to two decades.
The movie is the life story of Tim Leary and Ram Dass from the days they were teachers, exploring consciousness with drugs and for time his battle against the United States government and Richard Nixon.
More than a half a century has passed and Ram Das continues to work on helping others find the deeper mean of life.
For Tim Leary, his journey of dying to know began when he died in 1996. He was now able to transcend his body and find out what the afterlife has in store.
Both men, although they took two different journeys, talk about their mission to find their inner self. First through drugs then the spiritual journey for Ram Dass.
25 Statements and Thoughts from Dying to Know
- It is important to understand what taboos we hold as individuals in society. To change the way people in society think we need to talk about those taboos.
- In many cultures death is understood, celebrated and talked about among the people. In North America death is still a taboo topic.
- If you are going to understand others, then you must surrender to love for another people.
- Many people believe we need to learn to think for ourselves and question the people who say they have authority over us.
- One of Tim Leary believes included the need to have more conversation about birth, life, death and the souls.
- Ram Dass and Tim Leary believed taking drugs like Psilocybin, better known as magic mushrooms, opened different channels of our mind.
- To have the freedom of thought, at one point, frightened Ram Dass.
- Through the consumption of psychological drugs, Ram Dass realized a veil was covering his eyes. By understanding what he was going through, his veil began to lift.
- Tim and Ram Dass, experimented with Psilocybin, Mescaline and LSD. They not only experimented on themselves they also did control studies with others.
Although these psychological drugs are banded by many Governments around the world, different indigenous ethnic groups have used psychotropic planets to enhance the mind.
- Ram Dass and Tim Leary believed in controlling the environment these drugs were consumed. The drugs would alter your consciousness and allow you to explore deep within your conscious and subconscious mind.
- At the time, both believed the drugs could be used for a spiritual journey. One could go deep within and find ways to talk about taboo topics society was not talking about.
- I believe pharmaceuticals prohibit the human ability to explore deep within. That is why the prescription reads, do not take with other drugs or Alcohol. Many believe finding enlightenment with psychedelics is possible but Ram Dass believed there had a be another way.
- Ram Dass and Timothy Leary could explore the inner mind. The way it works. The way we think. Why we think and act the way we do. What happens to us when we die.
- Look around and you will see, most of the problems people have with one another starts with the disconnect between heart and mind. To solve problems, we must connect heart and mind.
- As Ram Dass stated to remove the veil over his eyes, he understood the goal is to find enlightenment without the need of drugs. This is a fact many people in the East have known for thousands of years.
- Today more people are looking to nootropics to open different parts of their mind.
- I believe a good yoga and meditation practice can open the mind to different form of enlightenment.
There is an important question we need to answer. Am I ready for death? Many of us are not ready and we deny the fact death will be our end one day.
- Tim and Ram Dass, both studied the ancient Bardos from, The Tibetan Book of the Dead. The understanding of the journey we take in the afterlife.
- In the last days of one’s life, it costs a lot of money to keep that person alive. They are in a state of misery and are on many different pharmaceuticals. The drugs do not allow the person to let go and passing peacefully.
- If we want to find enlightenment and understanding, we need to learn how to identify to our self without trying to explain the soul and our source, God.
- How many incarnations do you think you have had? What lessons have you learned in previous incarnations and lessons will you learn in this one?
- After all the work Ram Dass has done with the dying, he believes during the process of death, the mind flows through different planes of consciousness.
- The people we choose to spend our lives with today are the same people we will spend eternity with as we live through our many incarnations.
Are you the type of person who wonders about the afterlife? Are you like Tim and Ram Dass, Dying to Know, what the other side holds?
I believe we all have wondered at some point, why we exist. What our purposes is and if we are fulfilling that purpose. I am sure we have all thought about past lives and the people we were and those we were connected to.
Many people have looked to mind altering drugs, meditation and their spiritual journey to answer the important questions that go unanswered in this life.
Have you pondered the question, Who Am I? Better yet ask your loved ones, who am I to you?
This question can allow for a deep conversation if both parties are ready to find the path to enlightenment.
Have you ever tried any psychotropic drugs to reach a heightened level of understanding?
Leave a comment section below tell me about your experience.
Check out other articles in this post to understand death and nootropics.
Connect on Facebook and never miss out on new articles. The secret is to sign up to the email list. You can do this at the bottom of this post.
Want to read more about the teaching of Ram Dass? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon. Here you can purchase books and other items.
Each item purchased from Amazon allow us to build and grow DYLT. Thank you for your continued support.