What is my lifes purpose? This is one of the hardest questions to answer for many of us. Many of us are in search for our life’s purpose and have been for as far back as we can remember.
For many people do not know their purpose and this has led them to feeling a lack of purpose in life. They do not seem to know their mission. They do not have a vision or clear understanding of what they can have out of life.
I believe those of you who do not know your mission, could benefit from sitting down and clarify what our dreams, goals and ambitions are. I also know those of you who read this many not take the time to write your dreams, goals and ambitions because you subconsciously fear the process of success. For me, this was true up until I take time to understand what I wanted out of life.
Why A New Earth
If you have had the opportunity to read, A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, you understand the powerful impact of this book on your life. Just like in the book, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, this book take you on a journey of self-discovery.
A few years ago, I had the opportunity to experience Oprah Winfrey live on stage. Much of her life changing message resonated with me. As I continued to listen to her talk I realized her message spoke to me because it was so like the message in A New Earth.
Oprah talked about Inner peace, the ego, meditation, law of attraction, change your life and the life of those around you. You can read more about my experience, by clicking here.
My Thought on A New Earth
Before you give you a chapter by chapter summary of the book I want to tell you my thought on the book and how it has impacted my life.
I believe each day that passes I am awakening to my life’s purpose. With that say, I meditation when I can and am working on making it a part of my daily habit. You can click here and see what lessons I have learned from meditation thus far.
Eckhart Tolle’s book, along with others has helped me to stop worrying and start living my life.
Awakening to your life’s purpose may not happen for you over night but after reading this book it will give you the secrets to living a life you can be happy to live. I believe your goal is to discover your life’s purpose then take the steps you require to have a successful and happy existence.
This book will give you the tools you need to awaken but this book cannot waken for you. When you ready this book you do not have to be from any religious denomination or belong to any of the beautiful cultures worldwide.
Awakening to Lifes Purpose
As I review this book below, you will read important questions and thoughts I wrote down and asked myself. You will have the opportunity to read the most significant points Eckhart Tolle makes in his book to help you awaken to your life’s purpose.
I recognize as you read each statement below you will face different thoughts and this is ok. All this means is your starting to open to A New Earth.
Chapter 1 – The Flowering of Human Consciousness
- I feel there is a shift taking place in my life, today.
- All shifts in consciousness happen when I have stillness within me. When I listen to what is being said internally.
- I must remind myself until I know, I am conscious.
- What does it mean to be enlightened?
- What do I want out of my life? and What does life want from me?
- To allow the right things to come to me I will wait in stillness and the words/answers will come in that moment.
- It is important to find ways to rid yourself of the repeating thoughts we have every day. Click To Tweet
- Go where you feel the best energy around you and go where you bring your best energy.
- Look at everything around you with a different light.
- Look at nature and understand how perfect it is. Understand how you and nature interacts with each other.
- Be here and now. Like the principles, Ram Dass teaches.
- Do not go around name things around you. Just focus on being present no matter where you are.
It is time to get out of your head and in to the present.
- Go deeper into the practice of what you believe in.
- There are many ways to be enlightened and find enlightenment.
- Do you know where you are right now? How can you be the solution to the problem?
- During the present moment recognize, What thoughts go through your mind.
- Do not always react to the world around you. Just be still and understand it before you react.
- Ask yourself, What energy am I putting out in to the world?
- Don’t deny the believes of other people because they do not line up with your believes.
- There is great wisdom in all people’s believes.
- Every day check your thoughts and find out if they are your thoughts or the EGO’s.
- Be aware of what you are doing, where you are and what others are doing around you.
- Know that you are not your thought process. Your thoughts are the conditioning of your mind which happens over the years. Click To Tweet
- Watch the thoughts that go through your head.
- When you ask questions, it means you are aware of the situation around you.
- Be present and know when your aware.
- Be aware of what your mindset is.
- Don’t judge people. When you do recognize this is your old conditioning or through processing system.
- Ask God, when you pray, what is your life’s purpose?
- You don’t become good by trying to be good. You have to find the goodness within yourself and bring it out.
Find new ways to find common bonds between yourself and others.
- How connected is your identity to your ego?
- Relearn how to do simple things by using your conscious mind over your subconscious mind.
- Learn to see the stillness that is around you. Learn to feel it.
- Look for yourself in the present moment.
- Be present and experience what you are doing. Try not to think about your future plans.
- Experience life, don’t just understand life.
- Don’t resist what is happening around you, embrace it.
- Ask myself if you are truly present.
- Be aware of your 5 senses – touch, feel, sight, smell and taste.
- Don’t have expectations and don’t let those expectations define you.
- Learn lessons from everything that happens to you.
- Do you know your relationship with the present moment?
Chapter 2 – Ego: The Current State of Humanity
- Before starting anything, take a minute and focus on your breathing. Put yourself in the here and now.
- Use thoughts but don’t get caught up in thoughts.
- Watch what inner voice is saying. Read affirmations to change the way you speak.
- Do not label people. When you do, you can only talk to them from your perception of them.
- Always be present. On walks, when sitting, talking with people, at work, watching television ect.
- Bring your attention to what you are focused on – be present. Click To Tweet
- Try to separate the I/Myself/Me from who you really are.
- Don’t allow objects to become a part of who you are.
- Don’t hold on to your believes of who you think you are.
- What is the image you have of yourself?
- Look at the greatness in nature and apply it to yourself.
Do not think about other stuff while working. Focus on what you are doing in the present moment.
- When telling someone what that object is, remind them to identify what they are looking at. Help them get in tune with what that object means to them and the world.
- Do not become insensitive to the aliveness in the world.
- Don’t be identified by where you work or what you do for a living.
- Know what your real identity is, not what your ego things it is.
- Becoming awaken is learning how to die with grace. It is not being afraid. It is having a mind that is clear and in a state of peace.
- All forms will return to the earth.
- Don’t identify with the story of your life, as this is who I am. Click To Tweet
- Don’t compare myself to others. When you do, it’s your ego at work.
- Everything happens in the present moment. Be present in the moment.
- If you feel like you are waiting, change your thoughts and be where you are.
- Let go of your negative thoughts, memories, friends and situations.
- Remember what is happening is happening. IT IS…Now go from this moment forward, being present.
Chapter 3 – The Core of Ego
- Ask yourself, Who am I beyond what people see? Who am I beyond what I see myself as? And Who am I not?
- Do not be described by your thoughts.
- When you are upset with someone look inwards for what you are not happy with in yourself.
- Don’t complain, when you do it’s your ego. Be aware of this.
- Know why you are complaining. Don’t make it personal.
- When you are not happy with a service, most times it’s your perception. You can tell the person but remember it’s not supposed to be a personal attack.
- Do not label people or things.
- Look within yourself and see why you are hurting. Click To Tweet
- Don’t get angry. When you do, again it is your ego at work.
- When you feel hurt. It’s your ego that is hurt.
- What type of suffering do you carry?
- When people question you, it does not mean they are attaching you.
- Most people’s spiritual teacher is suffering that they go through daily.
Always be present and in the moment. Don’t look for future happiness.
- Do not be attached to the form, this will produce negativity and fear.
- You don’t have to play societies roles. You should be you and no one else.
- Take responsibility for your life’s purpose.
- Change can only begin with you.
- Worry does not bring about change and has no useful purpose in life.
- Meditate and be aware of the present moment.
- When you think and talk negatively, this is only worry on your mind.
- Worry pretends to be necessary but has not value in life.
- What you fight internally, breads new life. The things you resist, will not exist.
- The ego want to be unhappy and wants others to be unhappy around you. Click To Tweet
- Treat everyone around you with positive reactions. No negative behaviors.
- Leave the drama in life behind and learn to detach from it.
- Be aware of the ego and you can start to drop the ego.
- Be present when you eat. Sense how the body feels when you eat.
- When you feel hungry, ask yourself, Is it my body or my mind that wants to eat?
- Eat when the body is hungry not the mind, unless its knowledge.
- Energy can’t be destroyed, it can only change form. This is what happens when we die.
Chapter 4 – Role-playing: The Many Faces of the Ego
- Make time each day to be awakened.
- The ego plays roles with everyone it meets.
- Change can only happen in you. You can’t change others.
- Don’t try to change other, accept them as they are.
- Give other people your complete acceptance.
- Being human alone is not enough. You must be a being. Being is formless.
- Be present. Don’t worry about your problematic past or the problematic future.
- Deal with tomorrow, tomorrow. Not in now.
- Trust when the future comes it will have what is needed at that time to deal with any problems.
- Be present in every moment. If you are at home be there. Slow down and enjoy each moment while you’re doing what you’re doing, even when in a hurry.
- I am like a lake. The deeper the lake or the deep my understanding the stronger I am. On the surface of the lake or myself, that were ego is. You must be clam and present.
- When you feel superior or inferior to anyone, that is your ego reacting.
The ego is afraid, so it will be shy or over confident to compensate.
- Do not be attached to the roles you play with people. Just be with people. Don’t get caught up in the game.
- You can’t be in the mind and the body at the same time.
- Do your best to talk to everyone the same. Treat all the same. Everyone is the same from the CEO to the Janitor. Click To Tweet
- Place value on yourself based on your role in society and how you can benefit them.
- Create the mood when around people. Know that no one can create your mood unless you let them.
- Make your greatest challenges your greatest successes.
- Be one with life. You are not separate from life.
- Know that you are not your body and you don’t live in the mind.
- In death, when the being is not there anymore, the flesh and the bones dissolves.
Chapter 5 – The Pain Body
- Bring your attention to the present and you’ll see the blessing of each moment.
- Bring your attention to the present moment and you’ll stop the minds chatter.
- Constant mind chatter can bring about negative emotions.
- Thinking happens to you. You don’t think. You just have to be aware of the thoughts that come across my mind and do not have to accept them.
- Become aware of the negative story you tell yourself or the stories that you play in your mind.
- Deal with all the negative emotions that hold you back. These emotions are from your past.
- Every thought produces positive or negative energy.
- Negative thoughts can be felt in the body as pain.
- Don’t feed the pain body of others or yourself. That only feeds the ego.
- Do not live in the present moment from the perspective of the past.
- Your body believes whatever your mind is thinking and will react to it.
The first step is to know that there is something in you that seeks unhappiness. When you are aware of that negativity, you can turn it in to something positive.
- Do you over eat? Bit your nails? Yell at people when your frustrated? This is your pain body seeking a fight with others or your body.
- Live life by taking a step away from the negative. Separate from the events happening around you. Don’t react to what is happening. Just accept what is happening as it is happening. Be present in that moment. Be quiet. Watch and listen.
- Be present and don’t take part in the negative, the gossip, the hate and the sadness.
- Worry creates negative energy that can be harmful to your health. Click To Tweet
- Step out of your thinking and focus on positive thoughts, nature and sounds.
- Look at nature for life’s lessons.
- Let go of the story in your head. Stop carrying the events of the past with you.
- If people knew better they would have done better. Forgive people for the way they interact with you. It’s all they know as this is the only way they know how to be right now.
- Don’t let your sadness turn into negative or hate. Your minds chatter will take you to the negative. Focus on breathing, being positive, on GOD and his word.
The actions of love, acceptance and peace are close to a person’s sprit.
- Don’t deny your pain body.
- Do not say negative things to people. These words bring negative to their mind.
- Awareness is who you are, not your thinking.
- You can’t worry your way out of problems.
- If you are married, do not fight in front of your children. When you do, you pass your pain body to your children.
- The first step to mental freedom is realizing the pain body and stopping negative thoughts.
- Ask your spouse to tell me when you are being negative and letting your pain body out. It will help you recognize it and deal with it. The goal is to not react or hold it to the pain body.
Chapter 6 – Breaking Free
- Repeat to yourself, “I am the awareness of my thoughts.”
- Your thoughts can create negative or positive emotions in your mind, body and soul.
- Know that you have a pain body and you can break free of it.
- Accept the emotions that come to you. That brings the pain to the forefront. Look at it as it is. Don’t suppress feeling. Become aware. Make a change and feel the shift.
- Whatever you identify with, that is where your ego will dwell.
- Become peace.
- Don’t make disagreements between people, about the other person. Just understand your role in the disagreement.
- Look for the truth in the thoughts you have. Do you believe those thoughts?
- Catch the pain body when it’s an emotion to help bring a stop to it.
- Look at the situations that trigger your pain body. What is it? Is it the same as last time or is it something new?
- What actions will you take to stop the pain body.
- Have reminders around you to be in a conscious state of mind.
Your pain body can’t control your thinking. Only you have the control to change your thoughts and behaviors.
- Know that you attract to you whatever your inner state of mind and being is.
- Your ego love negative thinking. Get rid of all negative thinking and you get rid of the ego.
- Love the God within each person you meet. This allows you to treat everyone with the same respect.
- Don’t fall in love with the ego of other people. Click To Tweet
- Ego love is loving someone but getting mad when things are not going your way.
- Remember the amount you love myself is the amount of love you give others.
- The ego will produce suffering if you are not aware of it. Look at your daily actions and see what is producing suffering.
- Know that the moment you surrender to God, God will reveal himself and his goodness to you. Your ego keeps God out.
- You don’t have to be liked by everyone in the world
- Don’t personalize everything that happens around you and make yourself the center of attention.
Chapter 7 – Finding Who You Truly Are
- Know who you are and who you are not. There are important facts to grasp about yourself.
- Look at inner shifts and accept the positive in life.
- Know that your Form will want to be you but know that you are not the Form.
- Ask yourself, Do I know myself or just the doctrine form the books I have read?
- You are not your role or the status that you have achieved. You are much more than that.
- Learn to honor your role but do not be identified by it.
- Your reaction to a situation shows how conscious and aware you are.
- Be stillness and become formless.
- Be rooted in the essence of your being.
- What things interrupt you? What are my reactions to what interrupts me? When you are aware of these 2 things and how you react, you begin to let go of the concepts of self.
- Know that in the end your being will do the right thing.
When you are mad or frustrated, know you are not upset for the reasons you think you are. Its deeper.
- Stress is just the situation wanting to be different.
- Pain is caused when you don’t accept the now. Accept the situation.
- Every belief you have about yourself can be an obstacle to where you want to be.
- Know that you are Gods child. When you know, and understand this, you know everything in the world will be ok.
- Do not become the negative labels you and others put on you. Click To Tweet
- Look, listen and touch things to become alert of the present moment.
- Give to others what you feel you have been holding back.
- What things are you grateful in my life for? Write them down.
- Stress comes from my thoughts of the situation and not the situation itself.
- Don’t get pulled into other people’s drama.
- For a moment, notice the abundance that is around you.
Chapter 8 – The Discovery of Inner Space
- Try to create space between thoughts. Do not just have a new thought.
- Space is the gap between your thoughts.
- As per Eckhart Tolle, only things that have a form have an opposite. The formless does not have an opposite.
- Be the presence that is looking at the world. Be the presence that is witness to anger, upset, happiness ect.
- If you are present and you get angry, you can change that moment.
- Do not make yourself a mental object. This will create ego.
- Be conscious when asking questions and while receiving answers.
- Don’t go into every thought that comes to you. Let them pass.
- If you believe you are out of control or angry, know that you are not fully out of control and angry, you have awareness and you can change the mood.
- Do not get lost in the mind. Do not hold on to the past.
- Learn to let things go. If you can’t, it will create suffering in your life.
- Change will happen to all of us.
Know when it’s right in your soul its right for you.
- Be non-attached, non-judgmental and non-resistant in life. This helps create inner peace.
- Enjoy the world around you and know nothing ever lasts forever. The world is forever changing.
- Worry is not needed only action.
- Let inner space, the gap, guide your actions.
- Do not create fear after one fear has been dealt with.
- Learn to accept what is happening not the things that are happening. Click To Tweet
- Things are not ok in the world. We need to learn to understand it first before you can take action.
- Everyday should not be a means to an end. Be present and alert as if you are seeing things for the first time.
- When you say, “I need to do this THEN I can do that” realize that the ‘then and tomorrow’ never come.
- Don’t view everything as a means to an end. Every time you finish an activity that’s the end. Then the next activity is new. Be present for that.
- Reduce the amount of time you spend on things that are addicting.
Chapter 9 – Your Inner Purpose
- What is my inner purpose? Don’t always think about your outer purpose.
- Your purpose is to be where you are not where you want to go.
- Be true to the moment you live in.
- Give all your energy to this
- Make the journey your taking the best. Each moment can be enjoyed to the destination.
- The future comes to those who understand that it is NOW.
- The end is not more important than how and what you’re doing.
- You can’t find your inner purpose on the outer level thinking.
- Remember your outer purpose can change over time. Your inner purpose can change, grow and become “You” choose to make it.
- Be awareness at each moment in time.
- Make thinking the servant of awareness.
- Bring the light of God through you to the world around you.
- Life is a journey you and I take every day.
- Do not plan every moment. If you do, you take away from the awareness that is created.
Learn from the mistakes you and others have made.
- Be alert and not fearful. Know life will come to you the way you give to the universe.
- Your purpose does not come from thinking, it comes from awareness.
- While waiting for the next thing to happen just enjoy the present moment.
- Listen to people in a non-judgmental way.
- Don’t let the ego be in your way when it’s time to apology for the wrong you have done.
- That that everything is equal. As above is the same as below and below is the same as above.
- The answer is not in the mind, it is within.
- Silence has its own language. Listen to how beautiful it is. Click To Tweet
- You are only aware of silence when your mind is not noisy.
- Sit in silence with a pen and paper. Write down your thoughts.
- Say to yourself each day, I am one with God.
- Don’t change people. Let them be as they are. People will complement you as they are not as you want them to be.
- Give to people what you want back.
- Put out positive energy.
- Bring acceptance to what you’re doing right now.
- Greatness is in the small things. One step at a time to the big picture/goal.
Chapter 10 – A New Earth
- Put your attention on the awareness of being aware.
- Everyone is a world has apart to play in the universe.
- Know that you are the universe. You are experiencing life in the form of this body.
- Look for the times in life that you are formless.
- Don’t get lost in the experience of doing. Enjoy the process of being while doing.
- Be healthy, exercise and enjoy growing old.
- Be willing to accept what comes to you.
- Old age is about being, not about doing.
- Honor the wisdom of the older generation.
- Understand how to use your intelligence. If you do not you will make destructive mistakes for your future self.
- Ask yourself, am I doing what I am doing right now in the present or non-present moment?
- The only actions that don’t get negative reactions are those actions that are done for the good of all.
Learn how to experience the reality around you.
- Accept the current moment and do not look for another moment that should be. Enjoy the moment that is.
- Find what is making you unhappy and causing stress in your life.
- Every situation does not define your entire life. It only defines the preset moment, which you can change.
- Ask yourself, am I ok with the present moment?
- Invite present in the small things you do. Remember to slow down your movements and feel what is happening around you.
- Know you will not be in this situation forever.
- Remove yourself from people you don’t want to be round.
- Change the world by changing yourself first.
- To have acceptance of what is happening does not mean you condone the action. Click To Tweet
- Take the attention of the mind and put it into your breathing.
- Always be in a state of acceptance, enjoyment or enthusiasm.
- Have acceptance of the present moment.
- Change your mood or do not do the activity that make you unhappy.
- Take a moment out of your day and honor life.
- Do things because you enjoy do those things not because you want more after completing the enjoyable things.
Embrace the enjoyment and empowerment being aware gives you.
- Having enjoyment in life allows you to be creative.
- When you feel someone else’s joy, you feel your own joy.
- There is no joy in addiction behaviors.
- Life will not work if you operate from the present moment.
- Ask yourself, is there something in me I have a hard time accepting?
- Practice accepting the little things. Let those bring you joy and do them with enthusiasm.
- Be different then all the other people out there. Be your true self.
- Choose to be in the present moment.
- With God on your side all good things flow to you. Stay present when doing what God’s word asks of you.
- Do I know my life’s purpose and calling?
Your ego has one job. It is to stop you from realizing your life’s purpose. When you understand this, you open your life to all new possibilities.
You will be able to travel more, spend quality time with loved ones, change lives of people you know and don’t know, you will have more energy, be more disciplined and experience many other successes.
What is and how to find your life’s purpose should be your focus if you do not know. Many things will cause you to stay in the same place. Remember your ego like comfortability and does not want to change even if you could have all you wanted in your life.
Eckhart Tolle helps everyone who reads his book understand life’s purpose, importantly, help you find your life’s purpose. He inspires you to awaken the sleeping giant within your and connect to a higher level of consciousness you have not been able to before.
Which of the statements or questions from each chapter do you feel will help you discover your life’s purpose?
Leave a comment below and let me know. Check out other linked articles in this post to help you awaken to A New Earth.
Connect on Facebook and never miss out on new articles. The secret is to sign up to the email list. You can do this at the bottom of this post.
Want to read Eckhart Tolle’s book, A New Earth – Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon. Here you can purchase this book and other items.
Each item purchased from Amazon allow us to build and grow DYLT. Thank you for your continued support.
Don’t just imagine change. Bookmark this page and come back every 30 days, reread the article and continue to apply the information and drop you ego forever.