Do you need The 5 Pillars of Leadership?
Are you in leadership and struggling to connect with your team? Do you want to learn how to develop the leadership skills to better communicate with that team?
If you answered yes then continue to read about the 5 pillars of leadership. It will help you develop the foundation needed for a successful mindset.
If your answer no, thats ok. You can use in information in the book, The 5 Pillar of Leadership, to improve on the skill you already have.
When you are ready apply the principles from this amazing book you will not only improve your leadership skills but you will learn how to win friends and influence people.
When you apply the information, you start to see positive results in business, leadership, with employees and at home with your family.
A Little About The Book
In the opening pages of this book we find a letter written to Paul J. Meyer. Former American President, George Bush wrote the letter on January 13, 1998 to congratulate Paul for writing this book.
George Bush expresses his gratitude to Paul J. Meyer. George Bush also expresses his excitement for the book as he knows what the authors stands for. Mr. Bush understands what the leadership book is trying to teach. The former president is happy that Paul is motivating, training and inspiring leadership principles with the highest quality of information.
In my opinion, when you get an endorsement from a president, you know you have a successful and well written book on your hands. A book that will inspire great leaders to change their leadership style and play the role of leader not the role of manager.
The 5 Pillars of Leadership, was published in 2002 by Paul J. Meyer and Randy Slechta. In the book they review leadership roles, behaviors, attributes, and qualities.
My goal is to share important aspects of this book. I will help bridge the leadership gap. My goal is to help you find success, by reviewing the key leadership traits from each chapter.
How To Bridge The Leadership Gap
The ability to lead a small or large team will determine your success. Great leaders will take the principles in this article and find ways, for members on the team, to encourage each other.
Effective leaders focus on different aspects of leadership including these 12 points.
Chapter 01 –Effective Leadership
- We depend on leaders at every level to chart a course toward a brighter and more positive world with their understanding of business.
- Leaders make decisions that mold and shape our businesses for years to come.
- Effective leadership must lead the way if we are to solve problems and find solutions.
- As a leader, we must have the courage to step forward, accept change and begin helping others transform themselves.
- Leadership is achieving specific and beneficial results through the people we lead.
- Be willing to embark on a journey toward change. If we are willing to change, we can be successful and we will not be left behind.
- The strength of your leadership relies on your own willingness to grow, to improve and to change with the changes in your company, trends and employee attitudes.
Chapter 02 – The 3 Foundation of Leadership
- Great leaders understand three core values. Integrity, a servant’s heart, and stewardship.
- Leaders must learn how to be givers rather than takers.
- Success of a leader in any company, must include the service of others.
- Leaders who understand servanthood develop a sense of responsibility towards their work family.
- Effective leaders form the attitude of partnerships by demonstrating empathy and concern for team members.
Chapter 03 – The Bridge Towards The 5 Pillars of Leadership
- Develop a mission, vision and purpose for yourself, as a leader, and your team. This is critically important to help everyone understand the direction the team is going.
- A written plan for achieving your own personal goals, and helping your team achieve theirs, will contribute to your effectiveness and save you time, energy and money.
- You can always change a deadline without abandoning the goal or commitment leave of the team.
- Have a burning passion for achievement. This marks the difference between a real goal and a mere wish.
- Develop a genuine passion for the achievement of personal and team goals. When you help, others achieve their goals they look to you as a trust worth leader.
- As a leader, you must develop confidence in yourselves and your ability to achieve the goals that have been set forth.
- Leaders understand the importance of acting as you have already reached the goal by using positive and motivating words.
- Train your employees to understand that the greatest motivator of all, is belief in oneself.
Chapter 04 – The First Pillar: Crystallized Thinking
- Know yourself and where you want to go. This involves some degree of decision making.
- You must know where you are before you can begin taking steps forward your business goals.
- The greater the impact, the greater the willingness of the team to contribute to the overall effort towards the success.
- Great leaders ask themselves, “Why am I doing what I’m doing?” The adjust according to their answer.
- In quite moments of solitude, leaders renew their strength. Many of today’s greatest leaders understand the power of meditation. Here is 25 reasons you should meditate.
- You cannot expect your team members to understand, accept and internalize a mission statement that they do not understand and agree with.
Chapter 05 – The Second Pillar: Plan & Balance
- Having a written plan is essential if you intend to push your goals beyond the realm of daydreaming.
- Focus on achieving the full potential off all the individuals on your team.
- Efficient and effective leaders look for ways to make paths and human potential intersects.
- A goal is a written down and specific statement. Your own personal goal should be written as a positive statement. They should be realistic and attainable.
- Your goals should include ways you are willing to change to accomplish what you have set out to do.
- Write down SMART Goals – Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Tangible.
Chapter 06 – The Third Pillar: Passion & Desire
- Your burning desire to achieve great leadership is the force that motivates you to do whatever it takes.
- Talent creates its own opportunities and great leaders harness the power of the team to get more accomplished.
- To foster desire and passion in team members, remind your team to focus on positive personal development.
Chapter 07 – The Fourth Pillar: Confidence & Trust
- Leaders are in the position of leadership because of the dominating thoughts that occupy their mind.
- Make every effort to offer trust to virtually every member of the organization team.
- Think and talk in terms of “we” or “us,” not in the terms of “me” or “I,”. Leaders bring the team together not separate them.
- Knowledge and intelligence are acquired through a process which involves curiosity and interest in each member of the team.
- Attitudes is developed based on your thoughts and believes.
- Attitudes cannot be altered without first changing the underlying values that create them.
- Needs give birth to other needs. This is a never-ending cycle of progress, growth and change.
Chapter 08 – The Fifth Pillar: Commitment & Responsibility
- Don’t Quit! Quitting is the #1 reason why people fail to reach an objective or a meaningful goal.
- A great desire leaves no room for thoughts of quitting on your team, goals and business.
- Persistence makes the difference between winning and losing and between success and failure.
- When leaders face adversity, they are determined to conquer and overcome it. You are literally forced to use more of your potential to achieve a dream, goal or help others succeed.
- Good leadership does not mean giving in or giving up. Good leadership means developing a plan and handling the problem.
- Without courage, a leader cannot take calculated risks.
- As a leader, choose to accept personal responsibility for what happens to you and your team.
Chapter 09 – Leadership at the Crossroads
- Leaders understand people resist change for two reasons. First, change is uncomfortable, and second, change threatens the status quo.
- Continual stress on the job robs leaders, management and employee of pure joy. Here are ways you can handle work stress.
- Your use of language and behaviors reflect your attitude. This develops its own challenge and an opportunity when you are looking for increase the level of success in your team.
- A leader’s time is best spent on items that produce the highest rate of financial return for the organization. This includes investing time, money and energy into employees and themselves.
Chapter 10 – How to Bridge the Leadership Gap
- With the righty ability to lead, leaders understand success is a balancing act.
- The job of the leader is to teach, coach, and encourage team members to develop their innate potential for achievement.
- Leaders find that the attitudes of team members toward training and performance improvement mirror your own attitudes, believes and values.
- If someone is missing goals or making poor decisions, the best leaders choose to coach rather than criticize.
The 5 Pillars of Leadership, is a great book for anyone looking for a step by step plan on developing leadership skills or to improve upon the skills they currently have.
This book is a great reference for any leader who is looking to develop the skills, traits and behaviors need for personal success and the success of the team.
This book covers many important subject matters from the financial, physical, family, education, spiritual and social life view point.
There is so much information in the book. If you decided you need to read this book I would recommend reading the book a few times. This allows you to understand and applied all the principles when you are ready for them.
In this book, we find quotes from great leaders in the industry. As you read the chapters on the Pillar of leadership, charts are used to explain each pillar so it is understandable. All the chapters are simple and easy to understand. You will achieve the goals you want by following the step by step plan.
What one leadership principle will you use today to become a better leader for yourself and your team?
It’s your turn to help create more leaders in this world. Share this article with people who are looking for information.
Don’t forget to leave a comment below and check out other articles in this post.
Connect with us on Facebook and never miss out on new articles. The secret is to sign up for the email list. You can do this at the bottom of this post.
Want more information on becoming a 5-pillar leader? Go to our resource page which has links to Amazon.
Each item purchased from Amazon allow us to build and grow DYLT. Thank you for your continued support.
Don’t just imagine change. Bookmark this page and come back every 30 days, reread the article and apply the information.
Founder and CEO, Discover Your Life Today
Maveen has built his career in Banking, Insurance, Home and Automobile Sales. Providing exceptional customer service is his passion. Writing is a way to share his knowledge and help change the lives of million of people. Like the Facebook Page to support him.