What It Takes To Be Number One
Not everyone is a football fan. Surprise right? But that does not change the fact that Vince Lombardi knew what it took to be number one.
He understood what it took to win a game on the field and those principles are today applied in the business world also.
I purchased, “What it takes to be number one” over 10 years ago. Only recently I picked it up and read it.
The book written by his son, Vince Lombardi, Jr explains his dads success principles. The rules he lived by, how he thought and what his standards were.
Not know much about Vince Lombardi except that he coached the world champion Green Bay Packers.
I originally pick up the book because I had heard of Vince Lombardi was a leader in football. I soon found out he was also a great leader in life. Books like, The 5 Pillars of Leadership, will help you see that. Click here for additional details.
Here we review each chapter in the book. These are the success principles Vince Lombardi by and expected of his team live by. He expected nothing less. As you study the notes of each chapter you will see success principles to emulate and incorporate into your own life.
What it Takes to Be #1
Chapter 01 – Lombardi on Lombardi
- You screw up; you pay the consequences.
- Meetings focused on exchanging information and decisions, and decisions were final.
- The difference between success and failure is player control – in every phase.
Chapter 02 – The Vince Lombardi Leadership ModelLeadership is the ability to direct people and – more important- to have those people accept that directions. Click To Tweet
- People want to be independent and dependent, all at the same time.
- Know yourself
- Build your character
- Earn your stripes
- Think Big Picture
- Leaders are made, not born
Chapter 03 – Self Knowledge: The First Step To Leadership
- My father made decisions based on his understanding of himself
- Leadership begins with Self-Knowledge
- Self-knowledge come (only) from self discovery
- You can’t build a team that’s different from yourself
- As we suffer, we grow wiser
- Find your own Tools
- To realize purpose, you must go outside yourself
- Link goal to purpose
- Ask yourself tough questions
- Know Your spark
- See if you see daylight between purpose and career
Chapter 04 – Character and Intergrity
- Character is learned from the people around us, our heroes and our roles models
- Write your character
- Find the truth for your purpose.
- Act; don’t react
- Study the past; live in the present
- Have Faith
- Be proud and humble
- Search out and destroy prejudice
- Cultivate Compassion
Chapter 05 – Developing Winning Habits
- Your focus is not on what is actually happening to you, but on what you think is happening to you.
- Own your habits. Learn success habits, Click here.
- Use your courage
- Embrace your passion
- Be prepared to sacrifice
- Demand Total Commitment
- Weed out the uncommitted
- Work at it
- Be disciplined on and off the field
- Be mentally tough
Chapter 06 – Teaching, Coaching, and Leading
- Far too often, we become aware of the present only as it becomes the past
- As a leader, you can`t be one person in private and someone else in public
- Be authentic
- Earn trust through investment
- It’s what people do when no one is telling them when to do
- Use your mission
- Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing
- Create a shared vision
- Align your values
- Know your stuff
- Generate Confidence
- Competition brings out the best in products and the worst in people
- Chase perfection
- The leader must find each person’s “HOT BUTTON”
- Live what you teach
- Strike the balance
Chapter 07 – Building the Winning Organization
- Pick the right organization
- Demand autonomy
- Respect authority
- Delegate the second-tier stuff
- Check your hat
- Figure out which hat you really need to wear, and figure out how long you need to wear it
- Be brilliant, but don’t be stubborn about it
- …Trade for players who already knew his system.
- Build skills
- Let ‘em see you sweat
- Leaders do not give everyone a vote, but should give everyone a voice
- Build team Spirit
- Innovate without complication
Chapter 08 – Motivating the Team to Extraordinary Performance
- Success is based upon a spiritual quality a power to inspire others
- Your job as a leader is to give people what they want
- Offer people meaning
- Keep enormous pressure on
- Motivate the group
- Counter expectations
- Motivate the individual
- Win respect; affection may follow
- Motivate by inches
- Go where the wisdom is
Chapter 09 – Vince Lombardi on Winning
- Run to win
- Beware the power of quotability
- Yesterday doesn’t matter; we’re only winners if we win today
- Winning is the only thing – But only in context
- Try to win them all – But play by the rules. Find new prospects or ways to win.
- Be a good winner
- Block and Tackle
- Play to jump on opportunity
- Play for elegance, but take any win you can get
- Tradition is a powerful reason to play
- Understand the dangers of winning
- Embrace paradox
- If there was a play, you ran it. If there was a rule, you obeyed it.
- No Excuses
- Build accountability
- Treasure your legacy
What It Takes to Be number one is a great read for any football fan or anyone studying leadership. This is one of those books you pick up once a year and study the principles outlined in each chapter.
When you apply the principles of leadership in this book, you will notice you will become a stronger leaders and coach.
I suggest reading the book, understand and apply the principles and teach them to others on your team.
Each principal made Vince Lombardi a successful coach who won multiple NFL championships. He was not only number one on the field but off the field also.
It is your turn to make a difference. Share the solution people are looking for on your favourite social media platform. It’s easy to do and a proven fact your inner circle wants to know what you know.
Leave a comment by telling us what one rule you plan to apply so you can be number one at what you do.
Check out other articles and don’t forget to tell your inner circle about DiscoverYourLifeToday.com.
Connect with us on Facebook and do not miss new articles. The secret, sign up for email updates.
Don’t just imagine change. What if it was as easy as coming back every 30 days, rereading the article and applying the information. Start leading and growing your team. Start selling and making more money.