Why Drink Matcha Tea? What are the Health Benefits?
It’s safe to say that most North Americans are starting to drink tea. Unfortunately the tea they are drinking is full of sugar.
Did you know there is a better alternative?
Matcha tea has been consumed by millions of people all over the world for thousands of years. It is time for the 400 million people in United States and Canada to learn about the power of this plant-based drink. It can be consumed for pleasure and health.
People living in countries like China, Japan and South Korea already know the benefits of it.
Cut Out Sugar
I was introduced to the green powdered drink about 10 years ago when I went to Starbucks and got a Green Tea Latte. Immediately I knew this was a tea I could drink every day.
At first I would go to Starbucks and enjoy a cup. One day I asked the barista why the drink was so sweet. The barista brought over the package so I could review the ingredients. I found out that sugar was the first ingredient, 32 grams per cup!
I was never going to order the Matcha Tea from Starbucks again.
Facts About Matcha Tea
Matcha tea originated in Japan. It is now grown and processed in China, South Korea and Thailand.
Unlike tea bags or loose leaf tea, which is steeped for 2-10 minutes then discarded, Matcha tea powder is whisked into hot water and then consumed. Yes this means you are consuming the whole leaf in powdered form. The powder can give the tea a sweet or bitter taste.
May people will say, “I drink green tea. What is wrong with that?” This is a great question and one that should be answered. The answer is, there is nothing wrong with loose leaf tea or bag tea. We are talking health benefits and a simple fact should noted. If you are a green tea drinker you would have to consume 10 cups of Green Tea verses 1 cup of Matcha Tea powder to get the same nutritional value.
Then there are people who have a caffeine sensitivity and have a hard time-consuming coffee. Matcha Tea is perfect for those people also. With only about 1/3 of the caffeine of 1 cup of black coffee, Green Tea and Matcha Tea is replacing many people’s morning, afternoon and evening cup of joe. (1 gram of Matcha Tea has about 30 mg caffeine verse 1 gram of coffee has about 100 mg caffeine)
More and more people in North America are considering better food choices and are looking to add superfoods to their daily diet supplement.
Well great news!
Matcha Tea is the worlds most popular superfood which is gluten-free, vegan friendly, dairy free and nut free. This makes the products safe for everyone to consume.
Preparing The Tea
Making Matcha Tea is not as easy as making a cup of coffee or a cup of your favourite tea. Like anything thing healthy, it takes a few minutes to prepare for life long results.
Matcha Tea is usually purchased in a package and kept in the package it was sold in. As long as you seal the package up tight as possible, you can leave the power in the packaging as long as you do not allow air to affect the quality of the tea power. I keep my Matcha Tea in a tin container. I find this allows the Matcha Tea to keep its freshness over a longer period of time. The powdered tea should not be kept in directs sunlight, heat and moisture. I keep the container or package in a cool and dark space. For best results I keep my in my pantry.
To prepare Matcha Tea you will need four items. A tea bowl or cup, water, a whisk and Matcha Tea powder.
- Warm water (filtered or spring water) to 70-80c (158-185F), for best results.
- Start with 3-4 grams of Matcha Tea Powder for every 60-80ml of water if you prefer a thicker drink.
- Measure 1-2 grams of Matcha Tea Powder for every 80-100ml of water for a thinner drink.
This is only a recommendation. Please feel free to try different amounts of water and powder based on your desired taste and preference
- Add a small amount to water, at first, to the powder.
- Use the bamboo whisk in a N/M/W motion to mix the powder and water.
- Once the powder is a paste, add the remaining water to the bowl or cup.
- Again whisk in N/M/W motion until tea is creamy, frothy and bubbles appear (Note: If you do not have a whisk you can use a frother or beater)
- Once the tea is frothy you can add honey to sweeten.
- Drink the tea and repeat the process if you wish to enjoy another cup of tea.
Watch A Video Here
Want to try out something different? Check out this Bulletproof Matcha Latte recipe that is sure to add some additional excitement to the already healthy drink.
The nutritional facts may vary from brand to brand but for the most part each gram of Matcha Tea Powder has:
- 61 mg – EGCg
- 34 mg – Amino Acids
- 14.26 mg – L-Theanine
- 30-35 mg – Caffeine
- 328 mg – Fiber
- 447 mg – Carbs
- 1.75 mg – Vitamin C
- 291 Units – Vitamin A
- 26.6 mg – Potassium
Total calories per gram is 3.
Outside of the nutritional facts there are long-term health benefits of consuming Matcha Tea over a long-term basis. As perviously mentioned people in the East have consumed tea for thousands of years. We in North America are only now understanding what they have known for so long.
Long Term Benefits
- Matcha Tea is rich in antioxidants (137x more than Green Tea).
- Drinking the tea can help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Consuming the tea can helps lower blood pressure in those who have high blood pressure.
- Matcha Tea can boost your metabolism and help you burn more fat.
- Contains different amino-acids our bodies need to stay strong.
- Contains L-theanine which helps with relaxation and boosting memory and concentration in many people. (This is also an ingredient found in many energy drinks).
- Drinking Matcha Tea can help reduces the stress hormone Cortisol.
- The tea can increases Alpha waves in the brain without causing drowsiness.
- Matcha Tea can help lowers inflammation in the body and possibly help those with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS, Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis).
- Compounds found in the tea can help the skin look younger.
- Green Tea is a natural detoxifier which can helps remove heavy metals from the body.
- Since Matcha Tea has EGCg (Epigallocatechin Gallate), which is said to have cancer reducing properties, it may help reduce the change of getting breast, colorectal, prostate and bladder cancer.
- EGCg is also said to help reduce infections of the gums, liver, lungs, joints and intestines.
- EGCg may also help your body fight the storage of unwanted body fat.
- The Matcha powder can help decrease osteoclasts. This is when the cells in our body break down bone as we age.
- Matcha Tea drinkers experience and increase in energy throughout the day.
- Consuming the tea can help lower bad cholesterol
- Many tea drinkers find enhances mental function and a decrease in day-to-day anxiety.
- Matcha Tea can also help balance the pH levels in your body.
Cooking with Matcha
If you visit cooking websites you will find a number of recipes which you can add the Matcha Tea powder to. I have listed some idea for your consideration if you are a cook or looking for different ways to consume the powdered tea.
- Using in homemade Muffins, Brownies, Cake, Cookies
- Breakfast Pancakes or Crepes
- Add to fresh homemade noodles or pasta
- Icing for Cake
- Homemade Bread
- Add to Rice
- Ingredient in your marinate
- Add 1 to 2 grams to Protein shakes
- Add to Ice Cream, Smoothies, Latte’s
- Yogurt popsicle
- Add to Fresh Juices
- Add to Milk or Milkshakes
- Mix into Guacamole
- Add to homemade soap
- Mixes well with all other superfoods
Non Food Uses:
- Homemade Toothpaste
- Face Mask (Use powder and a little water to made paste)
Matcha Tea is a great addition to your daily drink routine or to help you replace those unhealthy sugar filled drinks that are so easy to reach for. The powdered tea can be used to increasing your health long in to the future.
Please note I am not a doctor. I drank Matcha Tea for the last 10 years. Myself and countless millions of people have experienced many health benefits which we can see and other benefits which we can not tell you about just by looking at myself in the mirror.
In October of 2016, I began my journey into drop shipping by looking to sell Matcha Tea. I choose Matcha tea because I love the product, I believe in the products health benefits and I believe everyone should live a health life if they choose to. Adding the green team powder is an easy way to experience the health benefits we all seek.
Now its your turn to make a difference. Share the solution people are looking for on your favourite social media platform. It’s easy to do and a proven fact your inner circle wants to know what you know.
Leave a comment by telling us if you drink Green Tea Lattes at Starbucks and if you will be stopping.
Check out other articles and don’t forget to tell your inner circle about DiscoverYourLifeToday.com.
Connect with us on Facebook and do not miss new articles. The secret, sign up for email updates.
If you are looking to Matcha tea for any health reason here is my Disclaimer below. Again I am not a doctor.
When use any new product you should consult a health care practitioner to make sure you understand all or any medical issues that may or may not come up by consuming the product based on your current health status. You should consult a health care practitioner if you experience any symptoms or if old symptoms persist. Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if taking any prescription medication as you should be aware of all or any positive or negative side effects that may occur during or after consuming the product. Giving Matcha tea to children is generally not recommend. A health care practitioner should be consulted before consumption.